Posted by : C.L. Crouch 13 June 2011

I remember back in 99...A well known "prophetess" was a guest speaker at our church. She preached a powerful message about giving. Me, being a somewhat ignorant to the gospel at the time, embraced the words and took them at face value. At the end of the message the "prophetess" began telling the congregation, "God needs some backpay". People were coming in droves giving their money at the altar. People gave everything from money, jewelry, shoes, coats, etc. One lady even gave her diamond wedding ring. At the time I had just moved into an apartment and was not making much money so I could only give $20. However, I felt bad. I felt like I had not "given God enough backpay." The convictions coming from the "prophetess" were strong. So strong that it was quite intimidating. People were leaving church, going to the ATM and coming back to church to give. This should give you an idea of how long this went on. Anyway, I ended up giving money, my necktie, and my cuff links. (I still miss those by the way...LOL.) If you were to have looked at the altar, it reminded you of a consignment shop and a bank emptying out all of their drawers and shelves. According to the "prophetess"...this backpay was long overdue, and for the building of the kingdom of God. Needless to say, I left feeling terrible...even though I was broke...that was my last $20. A few weeks later I heard from a reliable source that this particular "prophetess", took all the money and the jewelry with her, and left the clothing and shoes. A few years later I found out that this was a ritual of hers. Take the money and the jewelry and bounce.

Many preachers teach prosperity. I, personally, do not have a problem with it. I sincerely feel like Jesus didn't die for us to be broke. However, have we gotten out of hand with the message?

I found this video particularly interesting. I will not say whether or not I agree with it...But this is what I am referring to.

What sayeth you??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fknk2MO0MyU

{ 2 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. The message of prosperity is one of the messages that can hurt many people if used wrong. We tend to associate prosperity with physical means and not think of being spiritually rich. Tithing the tenth of what you earn (GROSS) is Gods, that's what it should be 1st. The offering is from your heart and should be brought to the alter to give unto God. But many use God like an ATM and this prophetess has to answer to God for using his children. We have to pray for a spirit of descernment (forgive any mispellings I have please) to know who's a false prophet and who isn't. When we are babe's in Christ, that's when we're most vulnerable. Though we are to be under a covering, we have to study the word for ourselves and break it down and be aware of the false prophet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. derk da jerk6/13/11, 2:06 PM

    He that is faithful over little i will make ruler over much. Prosperity is something that Christ died for us to have , Jesus said i give u life and life more abundantly. But in a world of excess Paul also said i have learned to be content weather i have little or i have much. I guess my point is that if we think prosperity is all about what u have or can get strictly from a physcal standpoint we will always miss out on the prosperity of peace, sound mind and body, or the prosperity of coming to the knowledge of knowing who God is in our lives, but if its strictly based on the material we'll miss it everytime

    ReplyDelete

- Copyright © Kingdom Knock - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -